Monday, July 20, 2009

Kili Memories from Greg DePinto

First off thank you for your support and donations to The Foundation for Blind Children Summit of Kilimanjaro. As you may know by now the entire team of 25 made it to the top, 19,340 feet June 29th 2009. We were heavily doubted and to be honest an attempt with a team of this size has limited odds of achieving summit, even SIGHTED. For me the last 3 miles, over 3000 feet of elevation gain, and 6.5 hours later was an undertaking I never imagined. There were times following Mike Armstrong (BLIND) and group, that I could not believe someone would throw in the towel; this kept me mentally in the game.

In many words we tried to put the last leg into perspective, unfortunately they’re words I cannot share. For me I was so far out of breath I thought I would pass out time after time after time and still had hours left to climb. I can’t count how many times this happened, the look on my face tells it all (Left Blue Coat). I was truly encouraged by my supporters and blind team mates that allowed me to reach deep and BRING IT….Thank you.

So many great memories from 30hrs of one way flights to our community service day at the Mwereni Integrated School for the Blind, 6 days up the mountain and 2 days to reach the finish line. Our team was incredible. The 74 Porters led by Nixon are the hardest working people I’ve ever encountered and to Kevin Cherilla or Expedition Leader from KC Summits.com was instrumental in getting us all to the top. His crew which included Kristi Samson who flew in from London was an amazing support system. Hat’s off to the KC Summits Team.

Our climb has reached national attention, last week we were interviewed by NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. We raised over $200,000 for The Foundation which will put 52 babies through the infant program next year. What an amazing task and worth every effort. I can say I’m glad to have my life back BUT I will miss my 24 new Friends. So to them I say what’s next?

Cheers and thank you all…..

Greg DePinto

No comments: