Friday, July 17, 2009

Memorable Moment from Tanner Robinson

"During this climb, there were several moments of great importance to me personally, but only one truly touched me. After we reached the Lava Tower, the climb started to get interesting with the Barranco Wall the next day. Pat was feeling very much under the weather, and just having a tough time. The wall was one of my favorite parts of the mountain, because I could climb it myself, and touch the wall itself. When we reached the top, the view and sense of accomplishment was amazing. I could clearly see our destination, the 19340 Uhuru Peak that towered over us. The camp where we'd spend the night before could also be seen. There was a lone tent at the bottom. Pat had stayed behind to rest. When he stepped out of the tent, all of us at the top of the wall began to cheer, shouting encouragements and calling out his name. Our voices echoed off the mountains and he later told us he heard us from the top, and it even brought tears to his eyes. I think this is a favorite moment for many of us. It just showed how strong our bonds and connections to each other truly were. To me, the summit was just a bonus, compared to getting to know the team, and to feel the sense of support and just how much we meant to each other on the mountain, and even now. At that moment, I was truly honored to be a part of what we'd started, and had no further doubt about whether we would reach our goal."
-Tanner Robinson

No comments: